Thursday 23 July 2009

piggy flu

by Madison Underground Press

I woke up last Friday with a sore throat and thought, 'Oh no, hope it goes away for the weekend'. Wasn't too bad, and I was able to go to London for my friend Janine's birthday and enjoy a curry. But it probably wasn't the best idea to go for a night of (light in my case) drinking, and then walk around in the rain to feed duckies on the Sunday. By Monday, I was feeling well and truly ropey and came home early from work after lunch. By Tuesday, I thought I was a bit better, so I headed back to work, but really really wasn't. After work, I napped until about 7, and then R and I went out to see Harry Potter with my boss. Wednesday, I thought again, I was feeling better, but really had to come home for lunch, and napped again until about 6, skipping my guitar class. I've finally realised I'm not going to get better if I keep sabatoging myself. So here I am at home, watching the Tour de France, and now I think really feeling better, but still resting resting resting.

On Monday, I found out two co-workers' daughters both have swine flu, which they caught last week. As I didn't feel flu-y, just like a cold, I didn't really think much of it. But R's heard on the radio that quite a lot of people have just described it as a bad cold. I would definitley call this a bad cold, since I'm normally not sick for more than a day or two max, and I have felt pretty rough. So maybe I have the piggy flue, maybe not, but it's kind of exciting to tell people I'm part of a fad! (once I'm better, of course)

The really dissapointing thing is the effect this will have on my triathlon. I'm so glad I'm sick this week, rather than next, because I would have really had to consider not doing it. But I had a great week last week for workouts including an open water swim in my wet suit. And on Friday, I picked up a two piece tri suit which I was able in run in on Saturday (a short run, since I was feeling dodgy). But this week, the penultimate week, where I should be pushing hard, I'm not out at all, and it feels crap. I know it will have a big effect on my time, and I feel nervous. But there's nothing I can do but help my body get better. But next week, I definitely need some time getting used to my new bike! Strange to think it's only about 10 days away!!! Fingers crossed I make a full recovery in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment