Sunday 5 July 2009

4th of july

Fourth of July has always been one of my favourite holidays. I've always been a summer girl, and Independence Day was the official kick off to the summer. The weather was always glorious, and we normally spent the day at the beach, or playing baseball, or having a BBQ, before heading over to Culver City high school to watch the fireworks display. Me, my mom, my stepdad and my sisters would pack a light picnic dinner, bring a blanket and get our American paraphernalia ready for the big show. Fireworks always make me feel so happy, even to this day, and I just love big booming music to go along with it. Although I've taken a lot of flak for it, I still play my Stars & Stripes cd every 4th of July!!!

This is the fifth 4th of July I've spent in the UK. Even though I'm so happy it's summertime, I always feel a bit upset that I'm away from home. It's just a strong reminder that something so close to my heart is so foreign here. While more and more places are starting to do a fun UK version of '4th of July', it obviously isn't a big deal here. I guess it just makes me a feel a bit homesick. R's really great, and will do BBQs (even though it's normally raining), and will even wear red, white and blue, but it just isn't quite the same. Oh well! To make myself feel better, I found some various pictures of America, Stars & Stripes and red, white and blue.

the american flag fish! by ~Kim's Picture Gallery~'s

Fireworks over Los Angeles by Naked_Eyes

Red, White & Blue Dog Democrat by Visualist Images



It's funny, but I was never particularly patriotic when I lived in America. I felt the over the top brand of patriotrism (particularly favoured by the republicans) was tacky and tasteless. But living abroad has definitely strengthened my feelings about America. I don't think you can truly appreciate a place until you put some distance between you. I love the UK, and love living here, and there is every chance I may stay here for good, but my love for the US has grown in a way I didn't think possible. I really do feel it's an amazing country and feel proud to be an American.

Sailor Jerry 16 by whoppertan

This is the next tattoo I'm hoping to get. I've always wanted to get a pin up tattoo, but was waiting for the right lady. I think I've found her. I want something to remind me of home and my roots, but something that doesn't take itself too seriously. Maybe for my 25th birthday?

1 comment:

  1. WHAT?! You can't stay in the UK for good!!!!!! Don't say that! Us Americans miss you too much! And you were definitely the person I missed the most on the 4th!

    ReplyDelete