Wednesday 25 February 2009

Revolutionary Road



For our bookgroup meeting this month, we read Revolutionary Road. Love the cover!!! I really enjoyed the book, too, but it took me a little while to get into it. It's set in the 1950's, American suburbia, about a couple dealing with the banalities of the American Dream, and deciding to do something about it.

We saw the film the day before our meeting, and I was very very impressed. Although it was faithful to the book, I feel the best book to film adaptations need to translate the material into a different platform - what works for a book, and makes it a great book, more often than not doesn't make a good film. However, the film found its own voice, and the two leads were great.

I also thought the film was a bit more intense, and definitely more harrowing. I ALMOST cried, but not quite :) And the costumes were amazing! I was totally born in the wrong generation (apart from loving feminism, working, sports, etc...you know what I mean...) I actually just wanted Kate Winslet's entire wardrobe. And hair. And makeup.

So, our next book is White Tiger, the latest Man Booker Prize winner, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into that! Although I sometimes feel reluctant to go to the meetings (ugh, it's cold out, I'm tired, blah blah) I do always enjoy myself, and I'm really glad I'm getting to read things I would never have thought to pick up.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Revolutionary Road with Chris. Afterwards, I felt like I needed a drink or something. It was so intense! Nick said that after he saw it, he was glad he was single. It's too bad that no one was nominated for an Oscar. I thought those two did a great job.

    ReplyDelete